[CS-FSLUG] OT: Bart Ehrman - Misquoting Jesus

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Tue Mar 21 12:20:45 CST 2006

> What this nice gentleman said sounded very misleading. As you already
> probably know, there were different schools of new testament texts
> (Alexandrian, Babylonian, etc.). The different schools of text are
> consistent within themselves. They do, however differ from each other.
> That said, all the differences combined do not change a single
> doctrine.
> In fact, most "changes" are spelling errors or a missing word which
> does
> nothing to the reading of the text (with the exception of the
> ending of
> Mark's Gospel).

	Indeed. Well, and that's just the way texts are. Shakespeare
presents many textual challenges, and they were actually *publishing*
his works while he was still alive. Nevertheless, we don't usually
make a big deal of that, because the differences don't generally have
a significant impact on meaning.

	The chapter is John he is referring to is another good example of a
possible later text, but that there are only a few examples of such
demonstrates the integrity of the NT.

	-Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in.
Editor, OfB.biz   |  Aim at earth and you get neither."
tbutler at ofb.biz   |                                   -- C.S. Lewis
timothybutler.us  |