[CS-FSLUG] OT: Bart Ehrman - Misquoting Jesus

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Fri Mar 17 21:12:05 CST 2006

Timothy Butler wrote:

>>The larger debate about inspiration of Scripture shows the standard
>>Higher Critical position. It's been around a very long time, can be
>>linked to the birth of communism, and a few other nasty trends which
>>attempted to overturn the Reformation. I won't bother to debate it,
>>because I'm not called to debate.
>

> 	Do you really think Higher Criticism necessitates a rejection of
> inspiration (not to say that it often doesn't go together with that...)?

Short answer: yes. I cannot see separating the concept of "inspired by
God" and "infallible." Textual Criticism is hard work enough; the Higher
Critical method presumes to judge too much, and cannot avoid in the end
placing human judgment over Scripture. Once there, the whole thing
depends too much on human perception. I contend we are obliged by God to
work with what's given, assuming it comes from Him. No other position
offers an anchor external to the human heart. It's one of those
*convictions* ;-)

--
Ed Hurst