[CS-FSLUG] Eastern disciplines in regard to our faith.

'Mash re.mash at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 10:26:11 CST 2006

On 3/14/06, doc <edoc7 at verizon.net> wrote:
> > Does anyone have any objections against practising an Eastern
> > discipline such as Thai Chi or Yoga ?
> > 'Mash

I love this point, I believe it is spot on.

"2.  Is spiritual vulnerability created?"

Here is a example in my own life which is not too removed from the argument.

I originally left South Africa in 1999 to become a dance club DJ in
the United Kingdom.
I still do love dance music with a passion. Now you can believe this
or not but I am telling you with complete honesty that 90% of the
nights I used to go out clubbing I was on the  dance floor praying
continually. Why, because as many of you may know, dance music is
synonymous with sex, drugs and homosexuality. It is the free love
movement post 1960's.

I am fascinated by the music, for its technical finesse and how it
affects and unites people together.

But...

What happened when I stopped praying two years ago.

I ended up taking a lot of drugs having a fair bit of sex and almost
getting myself into a homosexual situation with another DJ.

But...

Do I still love dance music ? YES
Do I still practise DJing when I can ? YES

One thing that stopped me becoming the DJ I left an entire country to
become was the fact that I am unable to see a separation between the
drugs and sex from the music. And most importantly my decision was
made that I was not going to do something that would encourage other
people to fill their lives with the same. Jesus hung around with
prostitutes and the like but I believe he loved and challenged them.
He did not I believe entertain them.

Do I still go clubbing ? YES
Do I still pray ? EVERY MINUTE I CAN !

And when people ask me what I am on. I smile and say "When you come
down from what you are on I will tell you."

"Spiritual vulnerability"

Whether I am sticking myself in a lions den every month, I am not sure.
I know I am certainly not testing God but I am definitely testing myself.