[CS-FSLUG] Eastern disciplines in regard to our faith.

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Mon Mar 13 22:10:12 CST 2006

Timothy Butler wrote:
>>Does anyone have any objections against practising an Eastern
>>discipline such as Thai Chi or Yoga ?
>
> 	Ok, let me weight in on this. Perhaps I'll surprise y'all with this
> one. I believe Yoga is incompatible with Christianity -- it is part
> of one of the four paths to Moksha in Hinduism and I believe is
> inseparable from Hinduism.

Ditto. I started kempo with a "sensei" who required us to start each
session with quietly sitting cross-legged on the floor. It was okay
until he started instructing us to close our eyes, and invision a cup
filled with water in our hands, then suddenly the surface going still.
This is a well-known technique in pagan meditation. Up to that point, it
was okay. I found another instructor.

Sitting quietly is fine, even with breathing exercises, since they are
well understood from medicine. The mental exercise crossed the line into
something foreign to Christianity. I sensed I couldn't pray if I
followed those instructions. I can't speak with authority for another,
but any activity I can't conduct with peace in my spirit is out of bounds.

--
Ed Hurst