[CS-FSLUG] For you Journalists

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Sat Mar 11 11:29:07 CST 2006

On 3/11/06, Stephen J. McCracken <smccracken at hcjb.org.ec> wrote:

[snip]

> I do see something to the argument though.  As Linux moves from the
> server area (where, hopefully, competent administrators are setting them
> up) and from the computer geeks to a more clueless user base, I would
> expect to see more problems with Linux boxes because of bad
> configurations.  I do think Linux is more secure by design, but a badly
> set up machine in either OS is a problem.
>
> sjm

Very true, but I think as the problem increases you're going to see
more distributions being preconfigured with a firewall and automatic
updates. Mandriva even included ClamAV by default. Rather than have
this just be however, I think it's going to be a simple prompt during
the installation: "Would you like to have your system set up for extra
security on the internet?". Another thing is that besides Linspire I
have yet to see a distribution circumvent the idea of user permissions
or the root account in a way that would compromise a system. Linux
wouldn't be impervious, but when you look at Microsoft's track record
and you see that they've left several known security holes unpatched
until they couldn't get away with it any more you realize that Linux
would be safer under the same conditions as Windows is now.