[CS-FSLUG] For you Journalists

Stephen J. McCracken smccracken at hcjb.org.ec
Sat Mar 11 11:07:49 CST 2006

> satisfied at claiming that the roles would be reversed if Linux and
> Windows had their user base sizes switched around. After all,
> malicious crackers (or hackers if you prefer) want to go after the OS
> with the bigger user base right? Here is why that theory is wrong.

I did read an article that tried to take on this theory, but I can't
remember where.  His example to contradict the theory was the use of
Apache and IIS in the web server area.  Apache is much more widely used,
but much less likely to be cracked/hacked.

I do see something to the argument though.  As Linux moves from the
server area (where, hopefully, competent administrators are setting them
up) and from the computer geeks to a more clueless user base, I would
expect to see more problems with Linux boxes because of bad
configurations.  I do think Linux is more secure by design, but a badly
set up machine in either OS is a problem.

sjm