[CS-FSLUG] Computer Science

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Sat Mar 11 00:49:34 CST 2006

On 3/10/06, Bradly McConnell <bradly.mcconnell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/10/06, Nathan T. <celerate at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I agree that printing is a nice solution, but for me it's also too
> > expensive considering the cost of ink. Perhaps this is one case where
> > I could see one of those new little Windows XP devices being handy,
> > albeit I'd rather it was running Linux although either way they
> > doubtlessly cost an arm and a leg.
>
> There is - the Nokia 770, but it is expensive.

Sadly :-(

And I was hoping companies were going to put out a student budget
friendly PDF reader, what was I thinking expecting such benevolence
from companies when they could easily force people to buy over
featured and overpriced gadgets.

> >Unfortunately my PDA just doesn't
> > have the resolution for e-books, all the formatting has to be removed
> > or the text is impossible to read and then the screen is so small very
> > few characters can be shown per line.
> >
> The Safari Bookshelf is more along the lines of regular desktop/laptop
> viewing.  I think most of it is PDF or CHM (yes, ick I know, Microsoft
> compiled help formatting - but there are Open Source viewers).

PDF is good enough for me. Do you rent on Safari, or the books you
download are yours for good?

> > I'm looking forward to when something like these
> > (http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS9257262400.html) things make it on the
> > market at a good price :-) .
>
> Don't hold you breath - they've been touting this e-paper technology
> for a few years now, with no significant gain.
>
> Brad

No significant gain, or not a big enough source of income to go out to
market yet?

The thing about using laptops or expensive tablets is you're so scared
of breaking the things when you're a student with no money to replace
them with. Sometimes I feel like companies would shamelessly harvest
and sell my organs if they could get away with it.