[CS-FSLUG] OT: Potter, Halloween and Philipians 4:8

doc edoc7 at verizon.net
Tue Mar 7 00:16:47 CST 2006

I apologize for being a bit obtuse.

Simply put, I am underwhelmed by much of what was
done to Christianity during the Renaissance, therefore
appeals to the human rationalism of the Renaissance
fail in theological discussion.

That non-Biblical authors argued for intellectual
syncretism wherein which the holy is carelessly intermingled
with the profane reduces rather that raises them in my esteem.

I may be well-equipped to separate the gold from the dross
but I find efforts to generalize that Bible-like literature
is generically acceptable/Biblically inoffensive as recommended
reading theologically sloppy, at best.

That the few are informed and discerning is not the
reference point from which we formulate recommendations.
We must consider the least else we fail to either "feed"
or "protect" His child-like sheep.

Contemporary moral equivelance arguments often appear to
appeal to Renaissance syncretism as they extrapolate
principles across centuries and contexts.  This is why
I noted that a similar course of reasoning, absent a
rational assumptive, could result in paralleling Islam
and Christianity.

doc