[CS-FSLUG] OT: Potter, Halloween and Philipians 4:8

doc edoc7 at verizon.net
Sun Mar 5 21:34:03 CST 2006

> No; but it serves as an argument against an irrational withdrawal from
> rationality to spurious authority. Christianity has thrived in the most
> corrupt of societies with people who lived within the society and
> culture. This is my culture. My task is not to withdraw from it, but to
> be a witness to the Lord's Good News in the midst of the public square.

Who said anything about withdrawing from society?

I merely indirectly cited the Biblical authority
to "be in the world but not of it" and to be
"salt and light" transforming the world and to
not to be transformed by it.

If we immerse ourselves in the things of the world
"good men are corrupted by bad company".

Jesus didn't have to be a drunk to impact drunks, He
didn't have to engage prostitutes in their business
to address prostitutes, He didn't have to be a dishonest
tax collector to transform Zaccheus, He didn't have to
sit and view morally corrupt plays in a Roman theater
to address the difference in morality between a pagan
Roman and a follower of the God.

There is no reason, other than feeding the flesh, to
indulge in most of what self-identified Christians
choose (absent any duress) to indulge that is worldly
and non-edifying.

doc