[CS-FSLUG] Testing SSH config (Solved!)

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Sat Mar 4 22:55:31 CST 2006

On 3/4/06, Don Parris <gnumathetes at gmail.com> wrote:
> I attempted to setup my box to access from work, but was misled about
> the availability of a certain port to connect through.  Now that I am
> back at my box, I can't connect from the outside.  Would anyone
> experienced with SSH mind helping me with a little test?
>
> Drop me a line off-list, and we can take it from there.  Thanks.

We got it!  Many thanks to Tim and Ed for their help.  I was running
in and out all day, migrating our new listmember to Ubuntu, while
wrestling with bad keyboards and Windows spyware galore before I could
get the Ubuntu install started.  Once I did, everything went very
smoothly.  My SSH configuration was correct, but I had not opened the
correct port in the SUSE firewall for accessing from the outside.

Yast offers the option to open the SSH port, but I assume this only
works on the default SSH configuration.  If you configure SSH to
listen to a different port, you'll need to add it via the Firewall
module.  Here's the routine:

(1) Yast --> Security & Users --> Firewall --> Allowed Services
(2) Click the Advanced Button and enter the ports/services you want.

>From there, you click next and finish up.  Anyway, another challenge
successfully overcome here at CS-FSLUG!

Don
--