[CS-FSLUG] OT: Potter, Halloween and Philipians 4:8

David Colburn edoc7 at verizon.net
Fri Mar 3 15:55:32 CST 2006

Dear fellow list members,

I have to say that I am very saddened by much of
what I have read here.

The Prince of this world is quite pleased with
the way he has succeeded in driving Christian
influence in society underground and is particularly
pleased with the assistance he has received from
self-identified Christians.

As I mentioned I do not have myself nor my children
in anything rationally defined as an isolated bubble.
I do trust that Jesus wasn't wasting His precious
time when he insisted that Peter feed and protect
His children.

I understand that "children" referred to literal
and rhetorical (baby believers).  The term was
used for the same reason, vulnerability to deception.

This is the same as "family" which Jesus defined as
"Those who hear the Word and obey it".

Children are children for identifiable and measurable
reasons.  Key to that description is their lack of
capacity to filter good from evil, especially when
it is cleverly packaged to deceive.

The best "propaganda" is that which is mostly truth
and partially lies and Harry Potter is clearly that.

We visited the public library today.  There in the
front row of the children's books was a book titled
"I Know I Am A Witch" about a child.

The Enemy has made such profound progress that his
emissaries in the culture no longer even have to be
terribly subtle.

When counseling and teaching youth, singles, and young
adult leaders I remind them that we have a critical
problem of priorities in the church.

Children, youth, singles, and young adults, and too
many of their leaders, focus on "how close to the fire
(sin) may we dance without getting burned" rather than
"how far toward righteousness may we mature in this
fallen world".  The former is of Satan, the latter
is of Christ.

As the Apostle Paul warned, grace is not license.

I am no legalist and, despite the misuse of his
writings by Calvinists and legalists, neither was
Paul.  I do, however, faithfully believe the Bible
when it instructs us to "not cause one of these little
ones to fall".  The consequences are dire for them
and for us.

I am done, though not undone.

Respectfully,

David M. Colburn, D.Min, MACo