[CS-FSLUG] OT: Don't Buy Harry Potter

David Colburn edoc7 at verizon.net
Thu Mar 2 21:41:33 CST 2006

>> Based on what?
> 	Based on actually watching Harry Potter movies and talking to devout
> Christians who have read the whole series. Tell me where the
> promotion of actual witchcraft is (majick not magic -- I mean, are
> you going to ban people from reading the Tempest because Prospero
> uses magical powers?).

I have read a little and viewed a little and quite
frankly the Holy Spirit in me was offended to the
point that I was made physically discomforted.

My children walked in the room when I was looking
at part of a movie and were horrified before they
even knew what it was.

I am sorry but if one cannot see the witchcraft in
Harry Potter one is not listening to the Holy Spirit
and one must lack discernment as to what is and is
not witchcraft -- it is that obvious.

I did a research project on witchcraft way back in
the early 70's when I was in high school, so this
is hardly new ground for me.

The author of Harry Potter has acknowledged the
witchcraft content -- what more need any Christian
know?

Let me share a true story from early in my walk as
a Christian through which God taught me about the
inability of light and darkness, good and evil,
witch and Christian to co-exist.

I attended a dinner party at a friend's home and
after everyone had been seated a woman next to me
suddenly arose and fled into the kitchen.

The hostess followed her and returned looking
very flustered.  I asked her if the woman was
ill.

The problem, as stated by the woman to her, was
that I was a Christian and she was a practicing
witch and she could not be in the same room with
me.

She had no direct knowledge that I was a Christian
as we had not yet been introduced and I was not
wearing anything that would have indicated that I
was anything other than a fellow young professional
in the computer business.

This said nothing about me but spoke volumes about
the truth of the Bible where demons cried out in
the presence of Jesus -- and He said that they
would cringe before us as well.

I am no "demon behind every tree" or "the devil
made me do it" spiritual extremist but I do know
from multiple direct experiences that the teaching
of the Bible that spiritual warfare is real is true.

The Bible says that we are to resist evil and seek
good.

Harry Potter and everything like it is evil.

Harry Potter teaches our young people to appeal
to a source other than God for power.  This is in
direct opposition to the teaching of the Bible.

Merging spiritism or direct witchcraft with Biblical
Christianity is the abomination called syncretism,
common to early Roman Catholic missions in Central
and South America when one may see a Sun god next
to a cross in the same "church".  It was done to
get a foothold without offending the locals -- God
was/is not pleased.  He wasn't please when the
Israelites or Christians did the same in the OT or
NT either.

Sorry if this is a hard teaching but it is the
indisputable teaching of the Word of God.

Christianity is at odds with every other religious
construct and Harry Potter *is not* harmless
entertainment, little out of Hollywood is harmless,
nor is it intended to be such.

doc