[CS-FSLUG] Networking two Linspire boxes

Jim Isbell, W5JAI jim.isbell at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 22:14:54 CDT 2006

All this sounds like ways to make the Linux work with Windows.

So, if I had two Linux computers would it be an easier task??

If I am going to spend more money it makes more sense to buy a new
Linux box to replace the aging Windows box than to buy new/additional
interconnecting hardware.

I can get a new Linux Box from SUB200 with Linspire already installed
and ready to go for $199.

On 7/25/06, Jon Mark Allen <csfslug at allensonthe.net> wrote:
> On 7/24/06, Jim Isbell, W5JAI <jim.isbell at gmail.com> wrote:
> <trim>
> > fine except that I have NEVER been able to get the two machines to
> > talk to one another.
> <trim>
> > What I dont know is if I will have any easier time getting the two to
> > talk to each other or no.  If NOT than my wife would prefer to stay
> > with Uncle Gates.  But if it would be easier to network the two then
> > she is willing to take the chance.
>
> I don't have any experience with Linspire, but I would hope it would
> work better than 'Uncle Bill's computers'
>
> If all you need to do is share files (and are willing to add one more
> box to the mix), you might consider something like FreeNAS.  It works
> out of the box as a file-server for just about any OS (using Samba or
> NFS shares, FTP, even SecureCoPy and Apple File shares) and we've had
> no issues with XP users connecting.  Though it might be a bit of an
> overkill, it does take away the headaches of windows file sharing.
> And it is highly probable that it would run just fine on your existing
> Win box after you've migrated to Linspire or the latest windows, as
> the hardware requirements are low.
>
> JM
>
> --
> "And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have
> removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people
> that these liberties are the gift of God?"
> -- Thomas Jefferson

Jim Isbell
you are just taking up too much space."