[CS-FSLUG] Networking two Linspire boxes

Jon Mark Allen csfslug at allensonthe.net
Tue Jul 25 21:59:36 CDT 2006

On 7/24/06, Jim Isbell, W5JAI <jim.isbell at gmail.com> wrote:
<trim>
> fine except that I have NEVER been able to get the two machines to
> talk to one another.
<trim>
> What I dont know is if I will have any easier time getting the two to
> talk to each other or no.  If NOT than my wife would prefer to stay
> with Uncle Gates.  But if it would be easier to network the two then
> she is willing to take the chance.

I don't have any experience with Linspire, but I would hope it would
work better than 'Uncle Bill's computers'

If all you need to do is share files (and are willing to add one more
box to the mix), you might consider something like FreeNAS.  It works
out of the box as a file-server for just about any OS (using Samba or
NFS shares, FTP, even SecureCoPy and Apple File shares) and we've had
no issues with XP users connecting.  Though it might be a bit of an
overkill, it does take away the headaches of windows file sharing.
And it is highly probable that it would run just fine on your existing
Win box after you've migrated to Linspire or the latest windows, as
the hardware requirements are low.

JM

--
"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have
removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people