[CS-FSLUG] Firewall fights

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Tue Jan 24 20:21:04 CST 2006

Correction: Kanotix uses firestarter.

Robert W. wrote:

> I use Shorewall and would be willing to help, if you decide to stay
> with it. I'm no expert. But configured it for a cable modem setup. DSL
> should be similar.
>
> A word of warning... I tend to follow the "block everything by default,
> allow what you need" philosophy.

I don't mind blocking most things. Obviously I'm not allowing something
that keeps knocking, and it's from the sites I use, not crackers. If
those final "ack rst" packets aren't important, fine. Still, I'm have
some real response problems for sites I visit every day. Not all of
them, but a significant minority.

I'd rather not have to install yet-one-more firewall program right now.
Thanks anyway.

--
Ed Hurst