[CS-FSLUG] Firewall fights

Robert W. robertwo at insightbb.com
Tue Jan 24 19:26:59 CST 2006

On 01/24/2006 08:00:32 PM, Ed Hurst wrote:
> On distros that hold you hand building a firewall, I'm usually just
> fine. FreeBSD has a standard firewall script that's exceedingly well
> commented, so I can understand it enough to make it work. Debian has
> no such thing. Kanotix uses Shorewall, but I don't get some of the
> questions, so I ended with a firewall too tight. I am currently using
> Quicktables, but I've had to run the script a dozen times reworking
> the few questions it asks, and still I'm having trouble with my DSL
> connection. This is trouble I don't have on FreeBSD and CentOS.

I use Shorewall and would be willing to help, if you decide to stay
with it. I'm no expert. But configured it for a cable modem setup. DSL
should be similar.

A word of warning... I tend to follow the "block everything by default,
allow what you need" philosophy.

--
Robert W.
robertwo at insightbb.com

Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find;
knock and the door will be opened to you. -- Matthew 7:7