[CS-FSLUG] install from HD

Yama Ploskonka Yama at veritasacademy.net
Sat Jan 21 10:30:29 CST 2006

question:
How can I install SUSE Linux from a HD?

In my days, I could load all the install files for win98 on a freshly
formated HD, and run from there.  I wish I could do the same with Linux.

yes, yes, maybe I should just give up an go with Ubuntu and net install
them.  Which will happen anyway because we eventually want to thin
client.  But I am just learning...

<verbose>
Yesterday I spent a fun/crazy day at our (Christian school) Tech Lab
(to-be), assembling computers and loading Linux.
I discovered that one reason people donate computers is that they are
dead, spelled as in nail.
Anyway, I got three boxes up and running by the time I decided I could
save myself a lot of time and CD swapping if I could just load all my
RPMs on a hard drive and load from there.
In that attempt I messed up two of my installs - with all those
mount/umount stuff and such, ended up being there until past 10 pm.
(good it was girls night out or my dear wife would have had some
opinions to share :-)

There seems to be no simple Linux formatting and then removing of that
formatted HD.  Things get messed up afterwards, KDE dies or whatever.
Please help/suggest.

</verbose>

Yama