[CS-FSLUG] Real Player Rhapsode for Linux

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Sat Jan 21 00:10:56 CST 2006

> I don't trust the current music download services though, they still
> charge you more for DRM restricted music than it's worth. Mindawn
> doesn't have DRM in the music you buy from them though, but as I
> recall it also costs more than the other services (it'll be worth it
> though, DRM has already gone too far imo).

	At least for me, the problem, of course, is if you want a certain
song, it really doesn't matter what Mindawn does, since I don't
believe they carry any major artists. I don't think the RIAA and
ASCAP are going to be too thrilled with the idea of a DRM-less
digital distribution system. (I really don't blame them -- its one
thing to have DRM-less CD's, but it is far too convenient to violate
copyright laws with high quality DRM-less downloads.

	Of course, Rhapsody only lets you stream music -- not download it --
under Linux or OS X, so it still is pretty much a no show. Well,
actually, given that the iPod has about 75% of the music player
market, for better or worse, iTMS is the only option that *isn't* a
no show.

	Hopefully, someday, Apple will license FairPlay. If they do, perhaps
Mindawn could pick up Fairplay support and, by it, major label support.

	-Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "The theologian who labors without joy is not a
Editor, OfB.biz   | theologian at all. Sulky faces, morose thoughts
tbutler at ofb.biz   | and boring ways of  speaking are intolerable in
timothybutler.us  | this field."
                                                       -- Karl Barth