[CS-FSLUG] Nvidia failures

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Sat Jan 21 02:50:54 CST 2006

<gripe mode>

Got together enough dough to purchase an nVidia MX 4000 (GeForce 4) for
my system. Naturally, FreeBSD was fairly easy to update, and the special
drivers were pretty easy to bring on-line. I get about 1400 FPS in the
little glxgears display. Then I decided to test my Linux harddrive.

CentOS was a little unstable at this point, so I tried SUSE 10.0, which
was supposed to have the driver already in the kernel. No dice. It
froze. SUSE 9.3 simply refused to use the new driver. I ended up running
in framebuffer mode. Several Debian derivatives all showed one
consistent major stupidity: they all resolutely refused to import the
home partition as /home, so it didn't matter if they could run the card.
I suppose I could have eventually worked it out manually, but that's not
the point. I shouldn't have to do that; installers have come too far for
that. Except Kubuntu, which refused to even give me an X server.

Those are pretty much the distros I'm willing to use right now. Whatever
the problem is, Linux is just not able to run properly on this hardware.
I'm sure there's something about HPs and PCI video cards, etc. Yes, I
most certainly did follow the instructions in each case. I'll be waiting
for something better in the future.

</gripe mode>

(Hint: "gripe mode" means I'm not seeking advice, just ranting.)

--
Ed Hurst