[CS-FSLUG] Opinion Please: Graphics Cards

Michael Bradley, Jr. michaelsbradleyjr at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 19:19:07 CST 2006

On 1/13/06, Brian Derr <bderr at myrealbox.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 10:51 -0600, Ed Hurst wrote:
> > Most newer Linux machines run Nvidia or ATI. The former is rather easier
> > to get the 3D driver installed, but not necessarily better. What other
> > cards/chipsets are well supported for 3D under X.org? I can read the
> > websites as well as anyone, but nothing beats the experience of your
> > trusted friends.
>
> nVIDIA hands down.
>
> Brian

I too have had much more success in getting 3D to work properly in X when
the machine(s) have Nvidia cards installed.

The laptop I purchased in October has an ATI card in it, and while the
driver I downloaded from ATI's site has made it possible to have hardware
accelerated 2D, I still can't get 3D working. In fact, if I "startx" with
the ATI kernel module loaded which provides 3D acceleration, the machine
crashes hard and I have to force a reboot by holding down the power button.

In the Hearts of Jesus and Mary,

Michael Bradley, Jr.

--
[Jesus said] Tell aching mankind to snuggle close
to My merciful Heart, and I will fill it with peace.

My home on the Net ::
   http://www.michaelsbradleyjr.net/

IC XC NIKA