[CS-FSLUG] Linux Laptop Support

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 01:12:46 CST 2006

It's a Toshiba Satellite M40X-RH4.

The problem I've had were with the touchpad, the atheros wireless
card, and getting a decent distribution with a working sleep and
hibernate function.

The closest I've come to getting the network working was getting it to
see my network with the wireless card, the only problem was that it
wouldn't support the wep encryption.

Having played around with different distributions enough, I think if I
were to put any distribution on there it would absolutely have to be
Mandriva or something that can come close the the features and ease of
use. Mandriva supported most of if, but choked on the wireless support
just like Ubuntu. Also I don't think Mandriva properly supported
sleeping and hibernating, and CPU scaling along with automatically
adjusting the screen brightness based on the remaining battery power
and whether or not the thing was plugged in. I don't expect all of
that, but I would like to get at lest two and a half hours of battery
life out of the thing as well as hibernate and sleep support and fully
working wireless.