[CS-FSLUG] Quantify the Power Savings (was: A Cost Analysis of Windows Vista Content Protection)

Alan Trick alantrick at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 19:11:34 CST 2006

In certain cases this actually is correct. When we're talking about
Total Cost of Ownership, the statistics droids are looking at one thing
only: what is more cost effective *right now*.

Obviously the result is going to be misguided. After all, retraining
your staff is a fact of life. But the reality is that a lot of people
are more effective with Windows at the present than they would be with
Linux.

Porting applications is another mess to get over. The Win32 API is a
mess, and once your application has gotten tangled up in it, it's pretty
difficult to get out. And for Enterprise-level customers, Wine does not
cut it.

As for which is more efficient on the same hardware. Linux is almost
always better off here, but hardware is cheap, retraining people and
getting software developers to port your legacy applications is much
more expensive.

Alan Trick