[CS-FSLUG] Printer and Samba

Alan Trick alantrick at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 15:26:03 CST 2006

Ahh, I'm retarded some days. I should have picked this up sooner.

By default cups doesn't allow access from anywhere but localhost or
127.0.0.1 (for security reasons). You'll need to
edit /etc/cups/cupsd.conf to allow remote access. The relevent sections
are:

Listen *:631

and:

<Location />
  Order Deny,Allow
  Deny From All
  Allow From localhost
  Allow From 192.168.1.*
  Allow From 192.168.0.*
</Location>

That's what my config has. You can fine-tune the Location section for
whatever your needs are.

As for the hostname thing. I don't *think* that matters. But if
http://192.168.0.2:631/printers/Brotherprinter doesn't work then try
giving it a hostname (edit /etc/hosts on the client machine and add a
line like:

192.168.0.2    printserver

I hope that helps.

Alan Trick