[CS-FSLUG] College / University

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 21:31:07 CST 2006

Personally I do prefer to learn at my own pace from books, rather
than having to perpetually cram and take tests as was the case for me
through most of school. I've been considering college simply because
it would get me off to a good start on independent study and because
it would provide some kind of post-secondary credential that I could
use when applying for a job in that field. I've never really cared
for managerial positions, which is what made me uncomfortable talking
to some people I've discussed post secondary with. Most people think
it's about the money, but for me I simply enjoy the building process
of programming, the fun for me is actually writing the code, testing
it, fixing it, and ultimately seeing it work. As for job
availability, I've always considered the possibility of being self
employed, although I understand there are risks since we've gone over
that here before.

That said most companies now are looking for programmers who can put
together solid network or database centric software, I have no
experience at all with databases beyond actually writing my own
libraries that would read and write from structured files. As far as
network programming goes I haven't touched on that beyond grabbing a
few files off the internet or writing an IRC bot with an already
existing Java library.

[snip]