[CS-FSLUG] College / University

Robert W. robertwo at insightbb.com
Sun Dec 10 18:45:47 CST 2006

* Nathan T. <celerate at gmail.com> [2006-12-10 11:30:05 -0700]:
> I'm thinking of University, and particularly of taking CS as my
> major. Around here the closest are U of A, the Augustana Campus is of
> particular interest because it's not in a major city. I have been
> considering U of S because even though up here in YK people seem to
> be unaware of it's existence I have several friends from Prince
> Albert going there. There was U of Victoria in BC, but I hear that
> cost of living there is extremely high. My tutor recommended that I
> go to U of Waterloo, but I have some reservations about being that
> far from home and particularly living somewhere that expensive and
> going to such an intimidating school.

Programming is an art form, not really a science. A CS program
introduces you to many tools and techniques - like going to art school.
And the class projects give some practical application of those. So you
see which techniques work best for you, and know when to choose between
different tools.

Don't expect a college course to teach you good programming skills.
Those courses show you what's available. If you're foundering with no
direction, then college may help you find it.

--
Robert W.
robertwo at insightbb.com

Enter through the narrow gate... But small is the gate and narrow the
road that leads to life, and only a few find it. -- Matthew 7:13a,14