[CS-FSLUG] Printer and Samba or...

Robert W. robertwo at insightbb.com
Tue Dec 5 14:00:32 CST 2006

On 12/05/2006 09:36:14 AM, he7316575 wrote:
> Well, Running ubuntu dapper (and XP too), I have a working printer
> Brother mfc210c, and Bibletime (PC "brown"!). But... I would like to
> print from my second computer (PC "yellow") (only ubuntu). I have
> managed to read and open files from both the computers using samba.
> Now, it is the printing mystery. I have made the same installation
> within Ubuntu on both the computers, and the printing is working from
> "brown".
> What is the next step?

I assume "brown" is running CUPS under Ubuntu for printing. If not,
then ignore the rest of what I have to say  :)

On "brown"...
1. Edit /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
2. Add the line "BrowseAllow all"
3. Comment out any other lines that start with "BrowseAllow"
4. Add "Listen *"
5. Comment out any other lines that start with "Listen"

On "yellow"...
1. From the GNOME menu: System -> Printing
2. In the window that pops up, selct the "Global Settings" menu
3. Check "Detect LAN Printers"

The printer from "brown" should automatically appear, if not
immediately, then pretty soon. At least, that's what I can remember
about setting up networking printing. It's been a while.

Oh, if you have a firewall on either "brown" or "yellow", make sure it
lets the "ipp" protocol through.

--
Robert W.
robertwo at insightbb.com

And the LORD said... "I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I
will have compassion on whom I will have compassion." -- Exodus 33:19b