[CS-FSLUG] Virtual machines

Vincent Danen vdanen at linsec.ca
Fri Dec 1 14:30:33 CST 2006

* Frank Bax <fbax at sympatico.ca> [2006-12-01 12:42:07 -0500]:

> > > Thanks, it doesn't work on OpenBSD either - so we'll drop that idea.  When
> > > I first tried VMWare on WinXP, I hadn't yet had X running on
> > OpenBSD.  It's
> > > running now with Firefox and OOo, but not VMWare.
> >
> >My understanding is that you can run vmware on FreeBSD using it's linux
> >emulator.  I don't know if OpenBSD has a similar emulator or not
> >(somehow I'm suspecting not), so you probably won't ever get OpenBSD to
> >run vmware for you.
>

> OpenBSD has emulation for both FreeBSD and Linux binaries.  I have Linux
> emulation working (because OOo works).  I attempted VMware player install,
> it didn't work, I asked on bsd-misc list; somebody said "No".

Oh neat, I didn't know it had Linux emulation (I've only really played
with OpenBSD as a server OS).  It doesn't surprise me that vmware
wouldn't work on it tho... I believe even on FreeBSD it's pretty
hit-and-miss.  I think vmware is too tied to low-level stuff in the OS
for it to be properly emulated like that (could be wrong tho).

--
{FEE30AD4 : 7F6C A60C 06C2 4811 FA1C  A2BC 2EBC 5E32 FEE3 0AD4}
mysql> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;