[CS-FSLUG] Excellent analysis: Windows vs. OS X vs. Linux

Vincent Danen vdanen at linsec.ca
Fri Dec 1 10:53:44 CST 2006

* Frank Bax <fbax at sympatico.ca> [2006-12-01 09:37:45 -0500]:

> >Otherwise, it's a very interesting read and one I can't disagree with (I
> >have, after all, been using OS X on my desktops for about 4 years now).
>

> Do you know if VMware player runs on OS X?  There are downloads available
> for Windows and Linux; but I don't know if OS X is close enough to Linux to
> run the player.
>
> I have an aging laptop that still runs Win98 because I have apps I don't
> want to convert to some other product.  Using WinXP as host, I have already
> installed Win98 into virtual machine.  I'll soon install/run my apps in
> that environment.  I will seriously consider a MacBook if it can run the
> player.

No, you can't run vmware player on OS X.  They do have a product called
vmware "fusion" in beta right now, which I believe will be similar to
vmware workstation (it looks that way right now, but is quite limited,
i.e. you can't yet tweak your virtual machines; they seem to have
forgotten to write or include the configuration interface for it).  It
does, however, look like it'll support 32bit and 64bit guests (if you
run it on a Macpro).  They could very well turn this "fusion" product
into a free vmware player for OS X as well, but I'm really hoping they
do the free vmware server for OS X too (that would be killer... I love
vmware server).

--
{FEE30AD4 : 7F6C A60C 06C2 4811 FA1C  A2BC 2EBC 5E32 FEE3 0AD4}
mysql> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;