[CS-FSLUG] Query: 64-bit vs 32-bit

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Wed Aug 30 09:36:45 CDT 2006

Timothy Butler wrote:
>> \
>> What other differences do you folks know about? I'd be especially
>> interested in technical details you can relate in simpler terms. For
>> example, I know it means more RAM can be addressed.

[snip]

> 	I think the lack of clear benefits has been a major factor in the
> slow adoption of 64-bit. Apparently, I'm told, there are other
> benefits I've not yet grasped, but they aren't exploited at present
> in the desktop sector.

When my board was purchased, it was noted AMD's K8 was the oldest
architecture available in off-the-shelf retail. To my knowledge there
are no 32-bit K8s (socket 754). New hardware from AMD is pretty much
64-bit across the board.

It's true there are currently few advantages apparent to the average
user. I know so little, so I have to ask: Is it possible coding with
32-bit is a mindset, a basic design structure in itself? Does taking
full advantage of 64-bit -- the extra registers, the SSE2/SSE3 stuff,
etc. -- require a completely different way of looking at code? If
someone started a new project from scratch, and were thinking in 64-bit
from the start, would it be very different?

I note there is currently no nVidia drivers for 64-bit FreeBSD, so that
exploration no longer holds interest for me. However, ATI is cooperating
and there is a small FreeBSD riot over this on at least one
nVidia-related forum.

--
Ed Hurst