[CS-FSLUG] PD: Re: Christians taking action...

Don Parris dcparris at carolina.rr.com
Sun Aug 20 12:40:09 CDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-08-19 at 13:48 -0500, Timothy Butler wrote:
> > There are unions in this country and they have tried uncucessfully to
> > unionise walmart for years.  Gee, I wonder why???  Could it be that
> > their, supposedly trampled on employees are satisfied with the status
> > quo?
>
> 	It's called "union breakers."
>
> 	(Although admittedly -- and I mean no offense to anyone who works at
> Wal-Mart -- but the quality of help at Wal-Mart is rather low.)
>

> > When a mom and pop grocery, the only one we had in town, goes out of
> > bussiness because WalMart brought in reasonably priced groceries like
> > the city folks get normaly,  12,000 people benifit and TWO (2) lose.
>

> 	Hardly. Wal-Mart prices things lower because by themselves they
> transact about 10% of the U.S.'s business with China and trade enough
> to have a larger "GNP" than many countries. Wal-Mart can force prices
> lower, hence kill off the jobs of thousands, lowering market choice
> and promoting the sale of goods from countries (like China) that
> abuse human rights.

My daughter worked for Wal-Mart for a short period, and my boss
researched the company for his Master's program.

What my boss discovered is that, since Sam died, the other family
members have become much more shrewd.  Wal-Mart is starting to sell hard
liquor in stores it has setup along the borders of dry counties.  (There
are several 'dry' towns around Charlotte; not sure about whole
counties.)

My daughter no longer works at Wal-Mart.  Despite her superiors knowing
her college schedule, they frequently scheduled her to start work,
either before she finished class, or around the same time she got
finished.  They even tried to recruit her back, but she was not
satisfied that she wouldn't face the same problems.

That said, I still frequent Wal-Mart.  Until the Good Lord sees fit to
raise my earnings to more than make up for my losses over the past
couple of years, I just can't afford to shop elsewhere.  My property
taxes went up $200/month, and my wife lost her part-time job in May, due
to her health.  Wal-Mart is about the only place I can afford to get her
medication.

Don