[CS-FSLUG] Ubuntu Christian Edition 1.0

Raphaël Pinson raphink at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 02:16:00 CDT 2006

Hi Mash,

On 8/11/06, 'Mash <mashdot at gmail.com> wrote:

> I never understand this sort of thing ?
> What is the purpose, or how can a distro be Christian ?
> Are each bit of software vetted for it's authenticity in the
> developers love of Jesus ?

Who said all the software had to be made by Christians? Many churches are
built by plain non-christian builders, yet they are called Christian places.
I would call a distribution "Christian" if the target public is the
Christian community, and the aim to help Christians use the computer without
it interfering with their faith.

Hmmm for all we know there could be a couple of UNIX tools that were
> developed or maintained by some real "riske" characters.

Even, tools that are directly useful to Christian users and communities in
particular (the Sword project is a good example). These tools are the core
of our work in Christian Linux distributions.

Have you ever
> seen photos of the DebConf ?

Some developers are scary scary people. All sorts of witchcraft and
> blasphemy ;)))

I have been to open-source confs (and to Debian confs, too). I haven't
really seen a lot of satan worshipers there. Not more than when I take the
metro or go out in the city. Many of them are just not well dressed... well
like most geeks... and, all the surprising it might seem to you, I know more
and more Christian open-source developers (even Debian and Ubuntu
developers, incl. the creators of the Kubuntu and Debian Junior projects).

<><

Raphaël

'Mash

Raphaël Pinson - raphink at ichthux.org