[CS-FSLUG] Still a "cult leader"

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Sat Aug 5 21:58:10 CDT 2006

> So we make Jesus a liar when He said that there is
> no longer Greek nor Hebrew?

	I don't think when Paul says that he is suggesting every difference
evaporates. Rather, he is suggesting that salvation is quite the same
for all, isn't he?

> He was unable to write His Bible so that all could
> understand it except for those who adopt a pre-NT
> Hebrew legalism devoid of Hellenistic figurative
> thought?

	No offense, but you seem to be offering a false set of choices
there. Usually, Greek thought is represented as heavily rational
(see, for example, the logic of the great Greek philosophers). Near
Eastern sensibilities seem to be much more fluid. For example,
genealogies in the Bible skip generations without flinching -- that
violates many Western sensibilities, but precisely recording every
generation was not of interest to the Biblical writers, I'd suggest.
In general, I'd say the Hebrews seemed to have a rich capacity for
metaphor.

	Of course, I mean no respect to Greek thought. I happen to be a big
fan of Aristotle, as well as his later disciple, Thomas Aquinas.

	-Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "It may be that  when the angels go about their
Editor, OfB.biz   | task  praising God,  they play only Bach.  I am
tbutler at ofb.biz   | sure,  however,  that when they are together en
timothybutler.us  | famille they play Mozart."
                                                       -- Karl Barth