[CS-FSLUG] OT: WinXP <-> Samba

Frank Bax fbax at sympatico.ca
Wed Aug 2 14:07:03 CDT 2006

At 10:48 PM 7/25/06, Tim Young wrote:
>If you have the samba tools installed, you should have nbtstat or
>nmblookup installed.  This is a command line tool that will allow you to
>query the other box to see what shares you have enabled.  If you cannot
>see anything with these tools, you probably have your Windows firewall
>enabled, or you have another personal firewall installed on the XP box
>that is blocking things.
>
>As always, start with the simple ping test.  Ping both clients from each
>other.
>Then rest samba.  First through nbtstat and nmblookup.
>Then use smbclient from the linux box
>     smbclient -L //[XP computer name]
>     smbclient //[XP computer name]/[share name]
>example with the computer name of adam and share name of public:
>     smbclient -L //adam
>     smbclient //adam/public

It took a while for me to get back to this...

I disabled firewall on WinXP system and tried (note NL, this time)
         smbclient -NL //[XP computer name]

It worked!  I checked firewall settings and "File & Printer Sharing" was
listed, but with firewall enabled, I get a "connection refused" from
smbclient.  Under WinXP firewall details, I see:
         TCP 139 & 445
         UDP 137 & 138
Any idea what to add to firewall to make this work?

Also, will it be a problem if I want to do anonymous connections?

Frank