[CS-FSLUG] Seeking opinions

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Wed Apr 26 21:15:17 CDT 2006

> The DeVry in Canada calls itself a Technical Institute, in the US the
> several DeVry schools call themselves Universities. One of the things
> of note is that they can run their classes either in the morning or
> the afternoon, but they also don't have much in the way of time off.
> The morning classes end at 1:00 pm and then students can work during
> the afternoon because there is only an hour of homework.

	That would put extreme red lights up for me. No self respecting
university -- a real, tried and true, fully accredited university --
would promise just an hour of homework. I'd check to see if DeVry is
even accredited. If it is not, your pretty well stuck should you wish
to transfer or move on with your education in the future.

	(Neither will a university stick primarily to technical stuff -- a
university will insist you are trained in a well rounded manner.
Among other benefits, this means you will have a degree that is
acceptable even if you'd look at a master's degree that is not in
your field.)

	I don't put as much weight in only going to "the best institutions"
as some do, but I do think you should aim for a school that upholds
the standards of most of academia. If the school makes it too easy,
something is seriously fishy. College ain't easy. ;-) Trust me,
though, that makes it worthwhile.

> If I go to post-secondary now it's more for myself than for any
> employers. I want to get a good computer science course for my own

	I'm not sure how it is in Canada, but these days a good college
degree is becoming almost like a high school diploma here in the
States. You might be doing it more for your future job availability,
security and mobility than you think.

> benefit, but I know that most schools concentrate on Windows so the
> real cool stuff will take place afterwards when I can afford more
> books and have time to read them.

	To me, that sounds like a good argument to study something entirely
different. What are your other interests?

> I could also use some prayers if anyone feels like doing me a favour,
> I don't want to make a mistake on this.

	Certainly, bro.

	-Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "Because philosophy arises from awe, a philosopher
tbutler at ofb.biz   | is bound in  his  way to  be a lover of myths  and
www.uninet.info   | poetic fables. Poets and philosophers are alike in
timothybutler.us  | being big with wonder."
                                                      -- Thomas Aquinas