[CS-FSLUG] OT: router features

Alan Trick alantrick at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 21:12:20 CDT 2006

I'm not quite sure why you want to fix the ip addresses and such, but if
all you want to do is to have have fixed addresses to locate your
machines with try setting zeroconf. The latest Linux is something called
Avahi. The Mac implementation is known as Bonjour, and there's a windows
port of that too. It doesn't require require a central server.

Then you can locate all the machines with the <hostname>.local domain
name. zeroconf also has some other cool things that it can do, like
automatic service discovery.

Alan Trick