[CS-FSLUG] OT: router features

Jon Mark Allen csfslug at allensonthe.net
Thu Apr 20 10:48:09 CDT 2006

On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 11:12:31AM -0400, Frank Bax so eloquently stated:
> There's another reason - as I explained in my first email.  When client is
> configured with static ip address, manual config of dns servers is also
> required.  For most ISP's this is not a problem, but through experience
> I've noticed that ISP used at this location does indeed change ip address
> of DNS server occasionally (once yearly or less), and I don't want a
> "surprise" like that many months from now.

---end quoted text---

I agree leaving these as DHCP would be the easiest.

If you were to use smoothwall or IPCop, you should set the DNS server on
the clients to point to your internal router.  Then if you needed the
clients to be static, it would avoid the
'oops' when the ISP changes the DNS servers.  It also gives other
advantages, such as local resolution of the clients, if needed.

Ok, I'll be quiet now about SW and IPCop... :-)

JM

--
"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when
we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the