[CS-FSLUG] OT: router features

Frank Bax fbax at sympatico.ca
Wed Apr 19 16:44:53 CDT 2006

I'm looking for a consumer router with DHCP features that LinkSys and
D-Link do not provide.  Does anyone know of a product line that can meet
the following requirement?

DHCP server that provides facility to pre-assign ip addresses outside the
DHCP pool.  I'd like to configure the router as ip address 192.168.1.2;
subnet mask 255.255.255.0 with a DHCP pool from 160-199.  When Doreen's
machine asks for an ip address, give it 192.168.1.6; when Debb's machine
asks for an ip address, give it 192.168.1.88.  I need this functionality
for two reasons.
1) The office scanner will send scanner files to a specific ip address
(which will be Doreen's machine).
2) Debb's machine need's VNC access from outside; router port forwarding
works on ip address, not hostname.

The dhcp client used by the above machines is rudimentary; it does not
allow specifying a static ip address; with dynamic DNS and gateway settings.

I think pretty much all consumer routers have a DHCP server builtin.  None
of the LinkSys routers that I've used are able to provide the above
functionality.  Early D-Link routers had the feature I wanted, but newer
ones require that the assigned ip address be within the DHCP pool.

FYI:  I purchased a LinkSys WRT54GSv5 yesterday; port forwarding feature
does *NOT* work.  I  upgraded to 1.50.5 - no go - 4 hours on the telephone
with LinkSys support - no go.  An hour ago, I went back to store and
replaced the router - same thing - port forwarding is broken.  So I guess
that a router where port forwarding works would also a requirement.

Frank