[CS-FSLUG] Seeking opinions

Ritchie, Josiah S. jritchie at bible.edu
Tue Apr 18 13:32:39 CDT 2006

Nathan, you make a wise choice to seek the opinions of those who have
gone before. God often works through the advice of wise counselors. I
happen to think I have something to say on this topic, but whether my
words contain wisdom is a choice between you and God. :-) In other
words, For What It's Worth . . .

If you plan to be serious about your studies and marketability in the
future, the content of study is a serious concern. Theory will
underscore your understanding. Just a minute ago I was using the parable
of the sandy foundation. It applies here as well. Theory, grasped and
understood, provides the strong foundation upon which to build the rest
of your IT career.

I'd wager that if their program focuses on certificates, then you'll
probably be low on theory. Remember, that in choosing a school you are
making one of the biggest investments in your life this side of heaven.
You'll want to spend much time in prayer seeking God's direction for
you. I would have loved the challenge of a heavily theoretical computer
science program, but God placed me in Bible College with a tech job that
has taught me much in the practical application of IT tools and the
administrative elements of IT. I'm certain that God has chosen this
ground as preparation of me. I've learned in my preferred hands-on style
and am well-equipped to enter missionary service. I am not very
marketable outside of ministry though. I have not credentials to show,
only work experience. That will get me some jobs, but cuts me
immediately out of others.

In addition to all that, do not discount the importance of a
well-rounded education. Music Theory may not seem interesting at first,
and you might take the class as some junky requirement to complete your
degree, but any class you walk into with this sort of attitude you are
likely to walk out of having missed something good. God's glory is found
in many amazing ways and classes on the creative arts that have nothing
in common with your analytical brain are the classes where you are most
likely to stumble upon truths of God's world. He created music, art,
philosophy and anything you learn about. He is the root, though,
depending on where you go, you may be taught otherwise, in learning
about these things, you are being exposed to a part of God's
personality. That perspective allows these classes to really stretch you
and make you soft for God to mold you as he sees fit.

Perhaps your best bet is to decide where you want to be in 10 years, 25
years and talk to God about it. Beg him to mold this into what he wants
for you and to show you where your own self-interest is getting in the
way of his plan. Don't let this be just some normal little 5 minute
prayer, but picture yourself sitting at the feet of Him. Imagine the
glory He can bestow on you and realize that God's way is the absolute
best way. Then tell Him you want it His way and talk through it in great
detail before Him. He literally has all the time in the world and wants
to spend it with you. Take advantage of that. As He molds your direction
in the next couple days/weeks start looking into where that takes you.
Then repeat as needed. :-)

Don't be too quick to count out Bible Colleges as a foundational skill
for the rest of your life. Many, such as the one I work at (Washington
Bible College), offer one and two year programs that will then allow a
transfer of credit to other places for more vocational study. At least
allow God the option in your prayers.

JSR/