[CS-FSLUG] [OT] The Bible on How to Treat Aliens (or immigrants)

Michael Bradley, Jr. michaelsbradleyjr at gmail.com
Sun Apr 9 19:41:52 CDT 2006

On 4/7/06, doc <edoc7 at verizon.net> wrote:

> <snip>
> Not one of these texts speaks a word to the problem of
> *illegal* aliens.
>
> This addresses *legal* aliens, people who are *not native*
> to the land in which they are *legally resident*.
>
> Remember, Jesus never instructed the Centurion to
> cease being a Centurion, He merely instructed him
> to be ethical.
>
> A Centurion could kill an illegal alien if he caught
> him crossing a border that the Emperor had declared
> off-limits.

I appreciate everyone's feedback on this issue.  When posting the first
message in this discussion I didn't intend to advocate for one particular
immigration policy or political position, honestly.

Doc is right in an important way.  Those quotes from the Holy Bible don't
tell us what laws and other measures are best suited to deal with the
problems surrounding illegal immigration in the USA.  I believe it to be
very important, even critical, that the USA reform its immigration laws in
order to best protect this country and to help manage our resources.  Any
country that is irresponsible in writing or reforming its laws and managing
its resources is headed for big trouble.

But the Biblical teaching on aliens does provide us with an important
"measuring rod" to determine how and if our laws are just and compassionate,
as I believe they apply to all types of immigrants not just legal ones.  For
simplicity's sake let's assume we're not talking about "illegals" who are
bent on carrying out malicious and subversive acts and agendas; rather, I
have in mind those "legals" and "illegals" who have pulled up their roots in
desperate search of wages and living conditions that are at least above
total destitution, which is what they face in their homeland.

I personally see the Scripture passages in question as closely linked to Our
Lord's parable of the good Samaritan.  Immigrants -- legal ones and illegal
ones, in the USA or in other countries -- are some of the most vulnerable
persons you will ever encounter.  They are often physically and emotionally
mistreated, lied to, stolen from, and counted as entirely dispensable. They
can suffer such dehumanizing abuse from employers, neighbors, law
enforcement personnel, and even other unscrupulous immigrants.  Often times
they live in fear, endure untreated illnesses, go hungry, and I could go on
and on ... The point being that if such men, women and children are not the
poor and downtrodden that Our Lord calls us to love and serve, then I must
be terribly misreading the NT and OT.

I think we can and must write just, compassionate (even generous) laws that
will help this country grow stronger and serve those in need.  At the same
time, I think citizens of this country who claim to be Christian need to be
ready and willing to share their wealth, serve and love the poor and
suffering immigrants (not all "illegals" nor "legals" are poor and
suffering, of course), and address their needs and concerns fairly and
openly.

I've heard way too many comments from Christians (Protestant and Catholic)
among my family and friends, and in the wider community where I live (which
has more churches per capita than anywhere else in the country!) that begin
and/or end with "those d@!n Mexicans! ... get 'em out of here ... no good,
stupid ... etc."   And let's just say that I find such a perspective to be
disappointing, at the very least, given those persons' professed creed.

In the Hearts of Jesus and Mary,

Michael Bradley, Jr.

--
My home on the Net ::