[CS-FSLUG] Your Mission Dream

Ritchie, Josiah S. jritchie at bible.edu
Mon Apr 3 10:26:37 CDT 2006

A great topic Ed. I really like Tim Young's answer. Tim, do you mind if
I repost it on my blog? I get excited when tech and missions collide!
:-) To elaborate on another area he mentions . . .

I'm currently raising prayer and funds to fill the spot at a single
mission agency, Fellowship International Mission in Allentown, PA. This
weekend, I met with the Techs at a ministry that Tim's ministry has
assisted called Christar in Reading, PA. I don't think Tim has been
directly involved with them. I heard that Christar has worked with Linux
for 20 years and has had knowledgeable people. I'm excited to be coming
in on a relatively blank slate with FIM. They have 2 servers, one a
Linux file server and a lot of need. There's so much to do that I'm
mentally prioritizing project needs now in preparation of the
overwhelming task to start with, but I'm excited to get this off the
hands of the Director of Personnel. His face just lit up like the sun
when I walked up to him at the missions conference and shared my
calling. :-)

I've benefited from one of Tim's classes directed toward Missionary
admins on security through LightSys. It was really good. I'm still using
what I learned from him over a year later, and it was great fun.

If any of you are interested in supporting this sort of ministry, let me
know. I bet Tim has some opportunities as well. I'm looking to make the
move to Allentown in March 2007. Details:
http://missions.ritchietribe.net

Before you think about supporting these type of ministries, I'd
seriously take a look at how you might be able to fill the need yourself
elsewhere. There's a huge need for IT in missions. Any missionary I talk
to from any agency like Pioneers, Christar, SIM, etc. get excited just
to hear about me taking this position even though they won't directly
benefit. I had a Pioneer guy ask me to send anyone who expressed
interest his way. His wife is filling the position for some division in
North America if I remember correctly.

Missionary Tech Support also has openings for people on much more
flexible and volunteer basis. Check out
http://missionarytechsupport.com/getinvolved.html for that sort of
thing. This group has been a blessing to many missionaries.

There is also a several missionary agency programs you can find out
about at LightSys that are being developed under the OpenSource model.
Some are highly complicated and probably in need of people with
commitment and significant coding skill to put years of their volunteer
coding time into making these programs usable. I know of agency's who
have invested multiple hundreds of thousands of dollars into software to
do what they need to do, in other words, your time on this project could
save a lot more money than you could potentially ever give.

JSR/

Lord's
> ministry are running properly. Because of this, my mission field is
> where the computers are.
>
> We have pinpointed a number of places where it is possible to be very
> effective in fixing computers for missions. I am really called to one
of
> these fields, but I will list them all anyway and then explain why I
am
> called to the one.
>
> The mission home office usually has a computer guy who manages their
> computers. Usually this is done by a "regular" missionary, a trained
> pastor, an old evangelist, a medical person, etc. They return to the
USA