[CS-FSLUG] RFC: Change of Statement of Faith

Eduardo Sanchez lists at sombragris.org
Mon Sep 5 05:08:56 CDT 2005

On Monday 05 September 2005 04:06, Nigel Ridley wrote:
> Timothy Butler wrote:
[snip]
> Tim,
>
> Isn't the following (not the baptism part) going to create
> difficulties
>
> for Roman Catholics?:
> > VII. We affirm Baptism and Communion as sacraments instituted by
> > Christ for this age as outward signs of inward spiritual grace.
> > Neither baptism nor communion are necessary for salvation nor the
> > continued remission of sins.
>
> It basically excludes them..........
>
> Blessings,
>
> Nigel

No, IIRC it doesn't. Official Roman Catholic doctrine is that a person
cannot be self-baptized, and if this person comes to faith _in articulo
mortis_ (in grave risk of death) and it is utterly alone, the person is
saved by a mere act of faith. Thus, baptism is not absolutely necessary
for salvation in the Roman Catholic Church.

Blessings,

Eduardo
(posting from office, sorry for lack of signatures and the like)