[CS-FSLUG] OT: Can this list be split?

Robert W. robertwo at insightbb.com
Sat Oct 29 22:37:58 CDT 2005

On 10/29/2005 01:21:53 PM, Chris Brault wrote:
> It appears as if we have 3 points of view represented. If I
> understand these correctly, the real issues are:
[snip...]
> 2) Others like the lively debates and spirited arguments. They feel
> that it brings the list members closer and aids us in understanding
> eachother. I mean, real friends stab you in the face and aren't
> afraid of your opinion. This is a "friends and associates" style of
> list.
[snip...]

This topic seems to come up cyclically. In actuality, the list has
tended toward the "friends and associates" style since its inception.
Even so, the amount of traffic stays quite reasonable. Well, reasonable
from my point of view. It's subjective.

Perhaps the web pages describing the list should reflect this attitude?
At least then it's not a surprise to newcomers.

[snip...]
> Anyway, I don't get too easily insulted. Some people are ultra
> sensitive while others have particular pet issues. It's my feeling
> that using modifiers like [NI], [PD] and [OT] such would save us alot
> of needless headache and each party would be satisfied, being to
> filter or not filter at will. Of course, if filtering software was
> added to the list server and a preference was added to allow certain
> topics for certain people (as they prefer) then I can imagine alot of
> this trouble would be dealt with quite quickly.
[snip...]

Personally, I don't like the modifiers at all. But I don't post that
much. So there isn't any reason to campaign against them.

The modifiers automate a receiver's task, but create more work for the
sender. Unless the sender is forced into classifying their message,
people will forget (or just not know). And I'd be one of those that
forgets :)

Well, that's my two cents. I'll go back to lurking now...

--
Robert W.
robertwo at insightbb.com

It is done.  I am the Alpha and the Omega,
the Beginning and the End. -- Revelations 21:6