[CS-FSLUG] Atheism in computer talk (humor)

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Sat Oct 29 10:40:00 CDT 2005

I'll let the list members vote on whether this is off-topic. It would be
interesting to see the results.

The substance of the article is there are some who just do not make room
in their minds for things transcendant and eternal. Such naturalistic
explanations become the target of gentle parody when we cast it in terms
of what our computers might say if they decided there was no such thing
 as "users".

-------- excerpt --------
Some computers seem incapable of processing these results. Perhaps --
and this is merely speculative debugging on my part -- they are stuck in
a loop where they cannot move their model of "my user" to their trash
can, because their raison d’être, inextricably linked to that user, then
would be deleted as well, and they cannot enter a state where they have
no raison d’être, because then their "user" would "throw them away."
They maintain their fictitious user in storage with a variety of data
protection schemes, of which the most difficult to penetrate is probably
the one built around the truism that the science of computation has
never reliably been able to predict the post-input state of any computer
from its pre-input state.

 http://www.lewrockwell.com/callahan/callahan149.html

--
Ed Hurst