[CS-FSLUG] Javascript and WebCT

Chris Brault gginorio at sbcglobal.net
Sat Oct 29 03:29:08 CDT 2005

Chico State University in Northern California,

Like alot of other colleges around here subscribes to an online
student/faculty interface platform called WebCT (campus edition soon to
be Vista). It allows students to sign up for classes, handle financial
aid as well as take tests and contribute to mailling lists. This
all-in-one campus solution is written in java. This isn't my problem.

The web page space on the WebCT server(s) does not handle PHP. The new
Vista (yes, the same as Windows) version will, but not this version.
Many of WebCT's own functions are handled in PHP so why not it's own
server? Is it to minimize the load on the processors? I don't know.

That said, designing websites for this system is usually pretty simple:
There are only two templates which you add content to. All the java code
is transparent and automagically put into place by the CMS.

Designing a custom website for this type of system sucks. I have to use
javascript for everything. Now, there are Linux servers on Campus, of
course, but the faculty sites must be on WebCT. So now I'm hacking at
projects using iframes and dynamically loaded functions. I don't like
it. It's bad coding to use one code when another is more efficient at
performing the task and in a cleaner manner as well.

My main problem is that javascript can't list directories, so loading
content is a real headache. Unless I've missed some method. That's where
you'all come in. If a method exists for javascript/HTML/CSS to read the
contents of directories into a list or array or even a string, I'd be
very happy ... otherwise I'm going to start making static pages in ...
choke ... dreamweaver.

Hope someone can help.

Gabe