[CS-FSLUG] Distribution list program

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 02:40:23 CDT 2005

I've been making more progress on the new distribution list program, using
Java hasn't been the easiest course of action since I've forgotten much of
it, yet now I'm doing something which I've never done with it before which
is fetching files off the internet using input streams. I have come across
an interesting stumbling block though, the distrowatch server won't allow my
little Java program to access the file
http://distrowatch.com:80/news/dwd.xml for some reason, yet the very same
url works perfectly in FireFox. Java can understand the url in that form, in
fact it is the one that formatted the url that way based on the parameters I
passed.

I have e-mailed Ladislav Bodnar personally asking him what he things might
be causing my program to get a 403 error, and of course offering to
discontinue the program if he objects to it (which is unlikely).

We'll see what comes of this, I'm trying to make my distribution list
program as automatic as possible and downloading an XML file by hand every
day isn't exactly automatic :-p

If this gets sorted out I will have two working components to my program, if
it doesn't I'll need a workaround, and if it can be done but will require
heavy modification or a lot of custom code then don't expect to see any
distribution list for a while yet since I have yet to learn socket
programming with Java.

Anyway I'm fairly contented with how things have come along so far, I've
taken less time to get this far than I expected.