[CS-FSLUG] cpu speed comparison

Frank Bax fbax at sympatico.ca
Fri Oct 28 10:03:41 CDT 2005

cpu0: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz ("GenuineIntel" 686-class) 2.81 GHz
cpu0: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+ ("AuthenticAMD" 686-class) 1.91 GHz

I booted OpenBSD on both systems and ran a script which is all CPU usage
after initially loading some data from a database (< 0.25 secs for database
access).  The script outputs results to stdout which I redirected to
/dev/null for this test.  I ran once on each system with stdout to file to
make sure output was the same.

I ran my script on each system three times and averaged run times.  I'm not
sure if this calculation is valid, but adjusting runtime for cpu speed:
	Intel	-> 122.5 secs * 2.81 Ghz	= 344.2
	Athlon	-> 150.5 secs * 1.91 Ghz	= 287.5
With 2.81G clock cycles per second, Intel used 344 billion clock cycles to
do the work, Athlon did the work in 287 billion lock cycles.  Does that
mean Athlon accomplished the task more efficiently?  Is my logic flawed?