[CS-FSLUG] Cramming and Jamming, part 2

Nicholas Donato ndonato at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 17:03:43 CDT 2005

On 10/26/05, Ed Hurst <ehurst at asisaid.com> wrote:
> After installing Kanotix, I was quite pleased. It ran rather quickly
> and managed to configure everything nicely. There was one small hitch,
> in that the installer defaulted to a framebuffer too large for my
> hardware, so there was a portion of the console off-screen. Once I
> caught it at boot time, I was able to correct it in the Grub
> configuration.
>
> I decided to see what happened when I did a full upgrade to current
> packages. It took awhile, and the main problem was migrating from
> XFree86 to Xorg. I managed to find the problems, I believe, because X
> looks better now. However, the entire system has slowed down a bit. I'm
> debating going back to do it over and update only for security.

I have been testdriving the 64bit version of Kanotix, and I am also
quite pleased with it.  The problem is that neither Kanotix, nor
Knoppix can see my wireless lan card (a NetGear wg311t).  I could
probably get it working using an ndiswrapper, but that is more fudging
than I am willing to accept.  So far, Debian is the most functional
non-commercialized distro for my situation.

Does anyone know of a "complete" freeware solution for mixing audio
CDs from mp3, oog, etc. type files?  Unfortunately, I have not been
able to find one with a feature set that includes stuff like audio
file editing, crossfading, fade-in/fade-out etc.  I use Nero Ultra
Edition v6.6 under Win2k and have not been able to find a way to do
the same things under Linux.  It looks to me like I could probably
piece something together eventually, but I can't afford to spend the
time to do things that way.  I am a church planting missionary in
Costa Rica, Central America and use the software to create CDs for our
worship each week.