[CS-FSLUG] OT: Can this list be split?

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 01:01:50 CDT 2005

After this thread came to my attention I decided to see what I could do to
get another monthly distribution list going, so far there is some good news
and some bad news. The good news is that I've found out about the atom feed
Distrowatch uses to announce their distributions and I have written a simple
parser capable of extrapolating the useful information. The bad news is that
the atom feed doesn't have as much information as I would need to make a
list like my old ones, so pending further development the new lists won't be
very detailed yet, especially unfortunate will be the loss of a link to the
distribution's web site.

More good news: so far all code is in Java, the parser works but is still a
little primitive and inflexible. An early implementation of the completed
work might be done in time to get part of next month. I don't know if I'll
worry about putting the software under any license so far, depends on
whether anyone else in the list would be interested in having a look at the
source code and making improvements. As I've noticed with my last
distribution list making software there really isn't any demand for that
kind of thing outside of this list :-) .