[CS-FSLUG] OT: Can this list be split?

Ciaran Hamilton cs-fslug at theblob.org
Wed Oct 26 07:40:34 CDT 2005

Hi,

On Tue, October 25, 2005 10:25 pm, Ed Hurst said:
> C'mon folks, this is not an extension of your personal mailing list. Let's
> try no more than 3 tagged messages per member in 24 hours, hmmm? If you
> have time to post it, take the time to self-filter. Not a hard and fast
> rule, but a target. Let's not force the moderators to play rough, okay?

I'd agree with this.

I know that I rarely contribute to the list, but I do read almost every
message. There are some things that are a bit irritating, though. I hope
it's okay to list them here:

* The NI tag is being misused. NI is supposed to stand for "News Item",
but anybody filtering on that will get messages like the "NI: A GLASS OF
MILK" message and its replies, which aren't news.

* There's an overwhelmingly anti-Microsoft stance. I mean, I can
understand there being some resentment for Microsoft but calling it names
like "MickySoft" *all* the time and lambasting everything that MS does
without any concern for its merit is going too far. Don't get me wrong, I
do think MS are lax in most of what they do, including with regards to
security, but if we're not careful this place will just be another
Slashdot.

Like it or not, Christianity tells us *not to judge*. Yes, that INCLUDES
Gates, Ballmer, and Microsoft as a whole. Judgement is reserved for our
God. Let's focus on constructive criticism, not out-and-out attacks, hmm?

* A lot of the "news items" being posted are actually from ZDNet's blogs,
and are hence quite opinionated articles. As a result, we hear one side of
the story but not the other. I have nothing against ZDNet, but when blog
articles are touted as (presumably unbiased) news, it's a little
unnerving.

* And once again on the "news items" front - posting links to the list is
okay, I guess, but it happens a bit too often for my liking. And isn't
that what RSS is for, anyway? Maybe a weblog should be set up for these
kind of posts?

Those are my pet peeves with the list, anyway. And I'm also considering
leaving again because of these; it's just not what I joined this list for.
It used to be good. :/

 - Ciaran.