[CS-FSLUG] My experience with SUSE 10.0 - "Gold" code.

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Sun Oct 23 13:39:30 CDT 2005

I didn't install the opensuse version, but the shipping 10.0 from SUSE. This
is the FIRST time that an upgrade from the prior release has installed
PERFECTLY, that is, NO dependancy problems - NONE - NADA!!

Now, for whatever reason, I did have to use Yast to get the nVidia driver from
nVidia twice. And, I did have to remove the sound driver for my SB Audigy2
SZ, reinstall and then setup - neither a "big deal."

There IS a performance gain with this release, a nice bonus! Now, if anyone is
using SUSE 10.0, doesn't have the multimedia files needed to play DVDs, etc.,
and don't know what files to get from http://packman.links2linux.org/, here
is a list of the files you will need, including what is needed to rip a DVD.
You could call this a "super" list for multimedia. ;)

10.0-libdvdcss2-1.2.9-1.i386.rpm
divx4linux-20030428-0.pm.0.i586.rpm
dvdbackup-0.1.1-0.pm.0.i586.rpm
kaffeine-0.7.1-3.pm.0.i686.rpm
kaffeine-mozilla-0.2-0.pm.1.i686.rpm
kdvdbackup-0.5-1.pm.1.i586.rpm
libdvdcss2-1.2.8-0.pm.2.i686.rpm
libdvdread-0.9.4-149.pm.0.i686.rpm
libmpeg3-1.6-0.pm.0.i686.rpm
libxine1-1.1.0-12.pm.1.i686.rpm
mjpegtools-1.8.0-0.pm.1.i686.rpm
speex-1.1.10-0.pm.0.i686.rpm
w32codec-all-20050412-0.pm.0.i586.rpm
xine-ui-0.99.4-5.pm.1.i686.rpm

To upgrade to the latest KDE and other files, in Yast add a new FTP site as:
ftp.suse.com	and dir
as: /pub/suse/i386/supplementary/KDE/update_for_10.0/yast-source

In software management, choose "Autocheck" and "Description." Then, under
"Search" choose "Package Groups." Then choose "zzz All." Now, once you have
gone to packman and gotten all the files there, be CERTAIN that you DON'T
choose any upgrades from the SUSE list for any of those files, or you'll
loose multimedia use for some files at least.

Hope this helps,

Fred

--
Paid purchaser of ALL SuSE Linux releases since 6.x